So Where Does Your Coffee Come From?

No matter how well you brew your coffee, if you didn’t choose high-quality, sustainably sourced coffee beans, your cup of coffee isn’t living up to its potential! The coffees that we source from around the globe come from dedicated farmers in beautiful places, and because of the hard work the coffee farmers put in, we make sure our coffees are artfully roasted to ensure every cup you drink is delicious, every time.


So where do our coffees come from?

Once you hold a cup of coffee in your hand, that is the result of years of caring for coffee from people all around the world. That coffee has been cultivated by many hands to get into yours: the farmers, the buyers, the importers, the roasters, to the baristas at the cafe to your hands at home. But the hard work and care of the farmers always impacts the eventual taste of the coffee. Believe it or not, the land and how the coffee is grown imparts unique flavor notes to the coffee, making different coffees taste like blueberries, cocoa, lemons, or even bubblegum without any extra flavoring. 

There are two main coffee species that are consumed right now. Arabica coffee makes up 60% of coffee consumption, usually sold at more of a premium because of the wide variety of delicious flavors like cocoa, nuts, or fruit. Robusta coffee is the other 40% of coffee consumption, usually having more of a rough flavor, but more caffeine. 

No matter the species, the coffee we love starts as a cherry on a farm in one of over fifty countries in the “Bean Belt” that stretches over the equator from Asia, Africa, Central America, and South America. Coffee can be grown on large coffee plantations, biodiverse agro-forestry systems, or even on smallholder, garden-like farms. From planting to harvest, that coffee tree could be 3-4 years old! These coffee trees can be grown from low to high elevations, but some of the most coveted, delicately flavored coffees come from arabica plants grown at an elevation between 3000-6000 ft.

Once the cherry is bright red, it is ready to be hand-picked. After harvest, the fruit is dried and/or washed off at the wet mill in the processing phase, depending on which processing (natural, honey, washed, semi-washed) is best for the farm’s climate. Any hulling is then done at the dry mill. What is left is the coffee seed, the green coffee. If the coffee is specialty-grade, then these beans are sorted for any defects that may make a cup of coffee taste off. Once all the coffee beans are sorted and packed into bags, then they’re ready to be transported to the roasters, who roast the coffee and turn it into caramel-colored beans that smell and taste so good!

If you’re looking to drink high-quality, sustainably-sourced coffee, Leena Bean Coffee has got you covered! Any coffee orders received by Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday by 5pm are batched, roasted and shipped the next business day. Shipping usually takes 1-4 days, so expect to receive your fresh roasted coffee right at the peak of its flavor.


We’d love to hear about your journey towards the perfect cup of coffee so make sure you follow along and tag us on Instagram @leena_bean_coffee and Facebook @leenabeancoffee


 


Older Post Newer Post